Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

one of my mothering "jobs"


Step 1: Cut up and cook veggies until very tender


Step 2 and 3: Blend until desired consistency and throw in some pasta (I love Pastina pasta because it is so tiny there is no need to cut it up) or ground up chicken. Spoon the food into ice cube trays and freeze.

Step 4: Once frozen pop out the food into bags and, voila, you have a great supply of baby food!

Before you attribute me to some great desire for nutritious food, let me just tell you that it is the $ that spurred me on. When I do my grocery shopping, I take great pleasure in the decreased bill due to not having to buy any baby food. I am also happy that a side benefit is the nutritious value--especially when a lot of the veggies are home grown, thanks to some families in church who are sharing in their bounty from their gardens.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

JennieB said...

WONDERFUL!! I'm quite impressed. Looks like everybody's a winner!! Happy cooking, chopping, freezing and eating!!

Donna said...

and saving money!

Wow, sis! I'm quite impressed!

Anonymous said...

i need to do some of that myself. i'm just tired of trying to find places to put all of those little jars! do you add water?

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Johanna! You would make a good African missionary :-)

Liz said...

Way to go, Johanna! The savings are quite worth the effort, I'm sure! Happy cooking and freezing, Mommy, and happy eating, Stefan :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Marcia, I don't add water on most things. I do add some to the chicken when I grind it up. Also starchy things sometimes need a little (sw. pot, peas, etc) I just reserve a little of the water I cooked them in and add as I need it while blending.

KarenB said...

I used to do this also when my kids were little - it sure does save money and you know exactly what is in the food.

Stefan has changed so much! It looks like you have been a busy family this summer.

Josh and Amy J. said...

YOU are the Mommy!!!!!! :-)