Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Look What I Can Draw!

Just to get this out right up front...I don't think my child is an exceptional artist. I don't really put a lot of stock in children needing to achieve things at specific ages. I'm really okay with the fact that a range of acceptable child development is quite large and so I don't try to push my kids do do things they aren't really ready to do. 

That being said, what does excite me is seeing developmental progress in my kids.  That could be anything as small as an extra sound our syllable that we haven't heard before, a motor skill that is improving, or in this case, small motor skills in the form of art.

Stefan has really been improving in drawing. I prefer to just give him blank sheets of paper to draw on as opposed to coloring books.  That doesn't mean he never colors from a book, but you get the point, right?

Anyhow...Stefan drew his first stick figure the other day.  I think it's pretty good. I mean, you can see the two legs, and the two arms. I'm just not entirely sure if those are eyes, or if this person has two heads.  Who even knows?  (He labeled the arms and legs for me so I'm clear on those at least!)

The two-headed monster
The other day we were outside playing and Stefan wanted to draw with side walk chalk. I didn't give him any ideas about what to draw and was honestly not really paying much attention, but as soon as I looked, I knew what he was drawing.  You hear that? I knew. That's big. Usually we have conversations that start with me saying, "tell me about this, Stefan."  Translated that means I have absolutely no clue what this is, but I don't want to say that so I try to go about figuring it out without bursting his ego that I don't know.  Anyhow, this time I knew!  Railroad tracks, of course!

It doesn't matter what he is doing, the bike helmet and his bike close by make it much more fun.


Love this face!


If you draw a train track, then of course you have to go in and get a train!

His good buddy, Thomas.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

mimi said...

tell him that Mimi thinks that is a budding artist! And I love the track for Thomas :-)

Papi said...

That has got to be my grandson. Bravo.

Donna said...

Love it! The two-headed monster is hilarious! But it is definitely being shaped into something, so that is big! The train track is GREAT! (And good photography skills, too!)