Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Three children, two check-ups, one parent

Today was one of those rainy mornings where I would much rather be curled up on the couch with all my kids piled on me reading books to them. But it was not meant to be...for today anyway!

Silas and Olivia had doctor's appointments. Our saga with finding a doctor here in Louisville has been very frustrating and long. I will spare you all from going into all the ups and downs of it, but suffice it to say I was one frustrated Mommy. However, God worked it out in an amazing way. A friend from church recommended a pediatrician that is highly well known in this area. She loved him and he had been extremely helpful to them with a child who had some health and developmental problems. Everything that she said told me that we would like him. He would be the type of doctor that would detect problems if there were, but would also be fairly laid back about other non-serious things.

Problem: we have state insurance for the kids and he didn't take it. I was discouraged, but my friend wrote me a note and asked if I had gotten in. I told her the problem and that night she called me back. It "so happened" that she had appointments for her kids that day, and decided to mention us to the doctor. She explained that we were seminary students on state health insurance, etc. He immediately said he would make an exception and take us. He had never met us, and had no reason except to be nice. I'm pretty sure I was skeptical, but the next morning I called the office back and they told me right away that they had a note saying that he had taken us as patients. Yay!

So today, I finally got Olivia in for her 18 month appointment (yes, she is almost 21 months), and Silas for a 4-month (his first appointment since birth). I was relieved to have appointments, have a doctor I could call if there were an emergency, etc, etc. The morning didn't start off so well. We only have one car so Brian was going to ride his bike today. On Wednesdays he has a fairly hectic schedule going back and forth between different places for work and classes. At 6 am this morning it was raining heavily and Brian said, can you drive me? Of course! So we load up the kids and take Daddy to work. Throw in an accident (not us), Olivia being very upset at leaving Daddy, a blow out diaper, etc... it was eventful. The rain didn't help because it is impossible to stay dry when buckling 3 kids in and out of carseats, and taking them in and out of buildings, etc. I didn't even bother with an umbrella :).

We made it though, and the office visit was actually uneventful...the car ride, and the getting into the building definitely had a one up on the events of the actual appointment :). Stefan was stellar. He didn't have a check up so he was armed with a back pack full of cars and books and he was happy the whole time and was also quite helpful when needed. He's growing up! Both kids passed with flying colors and are in general very healthy children. Thank you, Lord!

The Doctor was so nice. He is an older man, very grandfatherly. He was very thorough, and yet had Silas smiling and cooing and Olivia giggling. Pretty sure they thought the doctor was just a really nice man! At one point he said, "I'm not sure how an old Catholic boy like me ended up with so many Seminary students as patients, but that's ok, I really like you all!"  Totally made me laugh!

The morning still wasn't done. Picture me walking across the parking lot holding Silas in his car seat with one hand, diaper bag falling off my shoulder, holding Olivia in the other arm, and Stefan holding on to the other side of the car seat. The wind was blowing so strong that my hair was in my face and I could hardly see. Literally. Clearly we Moms really can see without our eyes, and we certainly don't need to add weight lifting to our routine. Pretty sure that was my workout for the day. 

We were at the office much longer than I thought possible, and had to rush back to pick up Brian. We got him at Seminary and drove home, we all got out, and he took off as quickly as he could to the school where he teaches. I'm sure he barely made it in time! Aaahhh... What. A. Morning. Now everyone is sleeping soundly, and I'm drinking a cup of coffee and counting my blessings. Namely of the three small children variety. Love those kids.

So...now to the stats!



Silas: 25 7/8 inches (55 %), 18.2 pounds (85 %)


Olivia: 32 3/4 inches (55 %), 28.6 pounds (85 %)   




Check out those percentiles! Identical. Weird. Oh and another weird thing. I got asked by some random person if Stefan and Olivia were twins. Um, no....?!?! I know they look alike but they are clearly nowhere near the same age. And Stefan is very tall for his age and Olivia isn't.  Really? I should write a book on random things people say when you are out with your kids.  

3 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

What a great account of an ordinary (?) morning! You are quite the mama and I love you. Too funny about those stats for the kids. And I am glad to know they are healthy (as if there was a question about that!)

Josh and Amy J. said...

Way to go Mama!!!

Donna said...

What an exasperating day! I HATE getting wet in the rain. But at least you created a great memory out of it! And, Stefan and Olivia definitely look a LOT alike and will probably be confused as twins a lot when they are older, but right now, she is clearly still a baby and he is a big boy. But, then, I don't think people think. I think they just talk! Can't wait to hug my sweetie pies!