Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bye Bye Christmas and other Random News

January is off and running and it seems like Christmas was ages ago.  We said goodbye to our tree and the only thing left of Christmas are the cards on our fridge, the new toys being played with, and the wonderful memories of a beautiful season spent together as a family. 

Sniff, sniff...

We enjoyed a simple New Years Eve. We first had dinner with friends, but since there were children involved it was an early affair and we were home with the kids in bed shortly past their normal bedtime. 

Brian and I then popped some popcorn and took some time to reflect on our year. While the beginning of a new year is certainly a good time for making new goals, we also like to take some time to look back and remember. I filled a jar with lots of questions that we randomly pulled out.  It made for a wonderful evening of fun, laughter, and serious reflection.   We remembered specific answers to prayer, funny moments, major accomplishments. We talked about how we had grown and changed. It was the perfect mix of serious and fun. If you haven't thought back on your year yet, I highly recommend it.  It is a good thing to remember.



I found Silas just chillin' on the couch.



We've been enjoying slowly working through Charlotte's Web.  Since Daddy has been home lately to listen in on the reading time he was able to capture the pictures.  As you can see, Olivia doesn't appear to be listening, but she is always sad when I put the book down.  Stefan loves it and has even read to me recounting stories about Wilbur, Charlotte, and Templeton.  It's been fun to see! We are nearing the end of our first chapter book read aloud. 


We had some snow the other day. It actually snowed most the day but no accumulation. I figured out that I needed to get excited over this, because we are not in the North and clearly this is probably all we're going to get so we had some Snowmen fun.

First we made puffy snowmen. (Equal parts shaving cream and glue)


We had snowmen pancakes. Stefan was thrilled about this, but I think he was feeling bad for the snowman because that night in Bible time he prayed for the snowman that he ate!  



We also read, among others, these 'snow' books:

When Winter Comes
The Snowy Day
The Biggest, Best Snowman
and
Juste un Petit Bout (in French, obviously)


3 comments:

Donna said...

Loved the post. Love the stories you're reading, love the snowmen--can tell the difference between S and O!, love the pictures, love the reflections--I think that maybe you need a post dedicated just to that...with your questions, etc....love, love, love, the pancakes and that he prayed for them! Too funny!

mom said...

ok, I LOVE your post and I LOVE dr's comment so just ditto it for me. You are the bestest.

Keren said...

Love all the pics and fun winter ideas, but thought I'd mention I really like your wreath, too. :)