Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Stefan's 4th Birthday

It really is difficult for me to wrap my thoughts around the fact that we have a four year old. Brian and I took some time to reminisce about Stefan's four years and how much he has changed specifically in this last year. He has jumped head first into boyhood and the toddler days seem long gone and the baby days even further. We have been overjoyed to see him develop and change. His personality is becoming even more unique. Maybe that's why this birthday was so fun?  Now we can get things because we know where his interests are and not simply "4-year-olds are supposed to like this" sort of thing. It really made it that much more special.  

This birthday was also unique in that it was his first birthday ever to be home.  We've always been on the road and we really enjoyed being in our own home and setting the pace for how we celebrated.


We started the day with breakfast which consisted of crepes with nutella and bananas inside. Candles to blow out right when you get up is always a good way to start the birthday!



I ended up deciding to go with a Cars theme because Stefan is a big fan of that movie.  I didn't want to forget this stage and I knew he would be thrilled.  Special thanks to Mimi who sent me the napkins and some stickers that I used. I'm really happy with how the cake turned out. It was my first time making my own fondant, so I'm thankful for no catastrophes!


I had stickers on each of our glasses and we were that character for the evening. Stefan got a big kick out of asking Sally (Mommy) for more water please, or Mack (Daddy) could you please pass the chips.  He couldn't decide if he wanted to be Lightening McQueen or Tow Mater so he had one on each side of his glass and we called him both:).  

At the dinner table we were remembering things about Stefan's last four years and also saying things we appreciated about Stefan.  I think he was starting to feel embarrassed at all that attention and he suddenly said, "Daddy, I'm thankful for you."  The sweet thing about that is that one of the things that Brian and I have been noticing in Stefan lately is a spirit of genuine thoughtfulness toward others. It is such a blessing to see that developing even at his young age. 


Of course, what is a birthday without presents?  It was so fun to see his excitement and joy over everything. The Legos (thanks to a last minute sale I snagged) and the scooter (thank you Papi and Mimi!)  were the favorites, but he loved everything.


After opening the gifts these two guys went immediately to work!


He was very happy about his cake, can you tell?  He also sang with us when we sang Happy Birthday.  Did those of you who skyped him and sang happy birthday to him notice that he sang along with you?  Yep, every time ;) He was thrilled about having a birthday cake and ice cream, but I think he only ate about three bites as he was too excited to go play with his new gifts!


Here he is with the very first vehicle he made with his Legos.  He has since made a house, a truck, a helicopter, a boat, a...you get the idea. He really likes them:).  It is not a huge set, but this is one of those gifts that I'm sure we will be adding to for years to come!

We are thrilled to see our boy growing up.
We count ourselves incredibly blessed to have him in our family and to have been given the responsibility to love, teach, and nurture him.

4 comments:

mom said...

Made me cry!!

Donna said...

Awwww...what a big guy! Can't wait until I get to celebrate with him. (I did notice that he sang with us!)

KarenB said...

Looks like it was a wonderful day! Any day that starts with nutella/banana crepes and candles has great promise. And then to end with birthday gifts, a wonderful cake, and some role playing...what could be better!!

Josh and Amy J. said...

What a wonderful birthday party for a wonderful little man with wonderful parents!