Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Home

Since Brian and I got married just over four years ago, we have lived in four different homes. For those of you that grew up in the same house your entire lives, and then when you moved out of your parents got a home down the street and have lived in that house ever since this will seem very strange. That's just not how we roll :). We've moved. A lot.

One of the things I've learned from moving so much is that every place has it's unique things that you love and some you don't love so much. The bottom line, though, is that it doesn't matter where your stuff is, if we're together as a family, it is home. I've also learned to let go of said stuff. The more I move the more I want to get rid of things. But that's a whole different post!

Guess what this month marks for us? Drumroll...we have now lived in our current home the longest of any home since we got married. Yep, that's right!

So, in honor of that (the longest home we've every lived in, that is) I thought I'd post about it! This home just got dropped in our laps when we desperately needed a place for an affordable price. We're grateful to have amazing landlords that we can also call friends from our church. (Are you reading, Tressa? )

Our home was built in the 1920's and with that comes some very unique characteristics. For the very first time in my life, I now understand why people like to buy old homes and fix them up. I'm not saying I'm doing that, now, but I do understand it! There are definitely some things about this home that I love and that you would never find in a newer home.

So, enjoy a brief tour of some of the fun characteristics of our less than 1000 sq. ft home.

First off, and the thing that everyone mentions when they first walk in the door, is the gorgeous wood. It's everywhere. And it's real. Beautiful. I often just sit and admire it from my seat in the living room.


Beautiful built-ins.


All the windows have this wood around them (and there are nineteen windows in the house!)
And look at that crown molding? That's not fake, folks!




Check out our mailbox! Yes, this is inside the house. Stefan loves when the mailman gives an especially good shove (which he usually does) because it all goes flying to the floor! How fun! The other nice perk is that we don't have to step out of our home to check the mail. Talk about luxury.



How many of you have light switches that look like this? Come to think of it, light switch is not an appropriate term. I wonder what they called them? Light buttons?

Those are just a few of the fun aspects of our home. Hope you enjoyed the tour!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Josh and Amy J. said...

Thanks for the tour!

RuthBix said...

Love it! Having never had the privilege of being in said home, it's nice to see a few pictures on your blog. I have often admired the woodwork and built-in cabinets in your other pictures. But those light buttons ... WOW! Having seen electric apparatuses in multiple countries, I thought I had seen it all. But I've never seen that! Cool. :)

mom said...

Awww, makes me miss your little house. It does have some beautiful pluses. Too bad it isn't a tad bigger :-) But then, you might want to stay longer and ruin your record.

Donna said...

Love it! For some reason the system at school was not allowing me on blogger yesterday. :( Who knew I was missing so much! If only it were a tad bit bigger.... :)

Tressa said...

Glad you guys love it as much as we do! We are so happy that the house is enjoying a wonderful family in it too!